Thursday, March 14, 2013

Power to the People

What a nice, busy week I just had. I baked for college age kids, for a teenager, for some adults and for a child. It just shows how the gluten free community continues to grow.

Friday evening, I decided to go out for a nice relaxing evening with my husband. We went to Winston's Grille on Falls of Neuse Road where I enjoyed a delicious club sandwich made with really good gluten free bread. How nice to be able to order a sandwich again! ....

On our way out I met the restaurant manager and thanked him for offering gluten free options and especially for the great bread I had in my sandwich! And it occurred to me that this is what we, as a gluten free community should be doing as often as we can.

The restaurants review how much they sell either weekly or monthly but think how much more powerful it would be to have personal, one on one feedback. It would demonstrate the impact that gluten-free options have on real customers, real people.

I believe that if we take the time to recognize those that take the time and effort to provide meaningful options (i.e. not salad), and ask for gluten-free food even where we think it will not be available, we can have an impact.

I recently reached out to a small number of locally owned coffee shops to see if I could help in providing gluten free options that they do not provide today. They expressed no interest, I can only assume, because they anticipated little demand.

But, when you think about it, how can they know what demand there could be if, when I go in, I just look at what they offer, decide they have nothing for me and I never say anything. So come on people, let's ask every time and see if we can move the needle in our favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment